Football News

Sunday 20 November 2011

Theo Walcott loving his role alongside Robin van Persie



Theo Walcott hailed Arsenal’s beautiful football and his prolific team-mate as the Gunners made it five wins from five at Norwich City’s expense.

The north Londoners closed in on the Premier League’s top four thanks to an assured afternoon and a Robin van Persie brace – taking the Dutchman’s 2011 tally to 31 goals in 29 games.
“We are playing beautiful football at this moment in time and with the likes of Robin up front it makes our job so much easier,” said England international Walcott.
“For me he is one of the best strikers in the world at this minute in time. We just love playing together. Over the past years he has had his injuries and I have had my injuries, and we have never really been able to sustain a run of games together.
“But last year you could start to see signs of it and especially this year we just know where each other is going to be on the pitch. Like I say, it makes my job easier and everyone else’s job easier, and he’s a great leader too which is really important.”
It was Per Mertesacker’s first-half hesitation that allowed Steve Morison to give City the take against the run of play, but Walcott believes Arsenal got what they deserved in the end – despite Norwich’s hard work.
“If we want to be climbing up the table then, no disrespect to Norwich but we need to be coming to these places and winning,” added Walcott.
“It was very open and I didn’t think we deserved to be 1-0 down but give credit to Norwich, they kept on closing us down; it may have been a slight mistake too.
“But it was very important to get that goal in before half-time, and I felt we did deserve that.”
Van Persie’s goals have helped turn Arsenal’s season around after a tumultuous start, but the Premier League’s leading scorer was not completely satisfied with Carrow Road outing.
“We know Norwich away is a tough game and we’ve seen this season they have been playing really well at times; we knew it would be a hard task but we played well,” admitted the striker, who has 13 league goals this season and 10 in his last five top-flight matches.
“I think we missed a few too many chances and made it a bit difficult for ourselves. I should have had at least one more goal. I had four or five chances, I put two in – which is okay but not great, so I have to work on that.
“Our aim is to finish in the top four. I’m confident we can achieve that.”
Defender Thomas Vermaelen added: “It’s tough to come here, but I felt confident from the start and in the beginning we had a lot of chances before they scored. I was confident we could turn the game our way.”

source and credit to :  http://www.norwichadvertiser24.co.uk/sport/theo_walcott_loving_his_role_alongside_robin_van_persie_1_1131753

No comments:

Post a Comment